Sunday, February 27, 2011

Blog Assignment 6

The Networked Student By: Wendy Drexler
I didn't know what to expect when I first read the title of the post. I was shocked to say the least. The fact of how well the presentation was put together amazes me. It is such a simple design with paper and hand-drawn pictures. The fact that even though it was a simple design, I could still follow it and understand what they were talking about. The design allowed for images to tell the story.
Other than just the presentation, the information that they are providing in the presentation is helpful. I was not really sure what a PLN was until it was explained in the video. I also now understand why it is so important to build connections through peers and other like minded people through the internet. Another thing is the way that the student is learning allows them to learn how to expand their knowledge. One thing that I noticed about the video, is that it is describing many different forms of technology that allows for learning. It includes podcasts, blogs, interviews online, and other technologies.
The teacher's purpose to a networked student is to show them where to start, give guidance if they get lost, teach them how to create connections, how to differentiate between good and bad information, and how to organize information in a way that it makes sense. These are all different things that are useful in the 21st century. Being able to do all of the things that are talked about in the video, allows for people to be well informed of what they are doing. In my opinion, without the teacher, the networked student might not know where to start without the teacher's guidance. I would be prepared to take on any challenge and even if I am not prepared to be a teacher to a networked student right now, I am determined to be able to teach them in the near future.


A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment
This is a very organized way of having people learn. I did not know that you could do all of those things from one place. I cannot wait until my PLN, Personal Learning Network, is completed. I now have so many ideas for what I could do, and what I can learn. Just thinking about it all is making me really excited for what I will find.
Smartboard


Smart Board Compare and Contrast
When I read the two critiques of Smartboards, I was not really surprised that they would think that way. Both Michael Staton and Bill Ferriter make good arguments against Smartboards. They are expensive and it is possible for you to do most of the lessons on other mediums. Both of these educators have strong oppositions about Smartboards. Staton mainly argues that they are the "least cost-effective way to improve learning." Ferriter's argument is that "they do little more than reinforce a teacher-centric model of learning." Overall, these are just some of the opinions that teachers have in regards to Smartboard technology.
To look at a different opinion, I found a blog by Alexa Mitchell. In her post Week 5- Smartboards, she touches on the positives and the negatives of Smartboards. The negatives that she mentions are the same as Staton and Ferriter's arguments, but she touches on the positives equally. The positives that are mentioned are that many of the Smartboards are portable, they can accommodate different types of learning skills, and they are engaging to the students. These are all good points. When I was a senior in high school, my school had invested in two Smartboards. I was fascinated by them and enjoyed using them in my learning experience. If a senior in high school can have fun with Smartboards, then what will younger kids think about them?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,

    That video was great! It explained in detail about what a PLN exactly was. I think that PLNs would be great to utilize at the secondary level of education. As I don't think younger elementary school kids could master that kind of technological skill. What do you think?

    I can tell you what younger kids think about Smarboards. They love them! It keeps them interested and incorporates technology and learning into the lesson being taught.

    I want a Smartboard for my house and am looking into getting one this summer. They are lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about connecting with like-minded people. You are going to find that many people who are online and engaged in learning from each other are fairly progressive. It is important to keep your community in mind when you start implementing the strategies you discover through your PLN. Faculty awareness is preparedness.

    ReplyDelete