Sunday, February 6, 2011

C4T #1 Summary Post

CarrotSticks

The first teacher that I was assigned to was Mrs. Ann Carnevale and her blog Bit’s ‘n Bytes.


In her post titled "Exciting News and New Resources," Mrs. Carnevale tells of the Write on project.  She informs about the program and what the details about it are.  The Write on project is used to "expand writing skills while utilizing 21st Century learning tools for communication and collaboration."  This project involves fifteen classes of third, fourth, and fifth grade students. There are three groups of five classes that work together through a wiki to write and illustrate a story.  This program is an amazing idea because it allows the students to get to know about different places, and to meet new people. 


Another program that is mentioned in Mrs. Carnevale's post is a website called CarrotSticks.  This program is created as a way for students to have fun learning math.  On CarrotSticks, there are 25 levels of math games where they can play by themselves or with a friend.  There are many pros and cons listed on her post. Some of the pros and cons are that the challenges are not very long, and you can create your own avatar.  I have looked into CarrotSticks, and it seems like a good website that kids could definitely learn from.


In her second post "How Did You Do That?," Mrs. Carnevale mentions some shortcut keys for anyone that owns a mac.  I personally do not own a mac computer, but I feel that anyone who does have one will benefit from knowing these shortcuts.  I use shortcut keys on my PC on a daily basis, so I like to say that I understand how convenient they are to use.  Also, she includes a video on how mac users can use the trackpad effectively.  I watched the video and it was very informative and gave many examples for how the trackpad can be used.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle,
    I myself am real big on fun learning for students. CarrotSticks is a very fun way. I feel that if students do not enjoy learning they will not learn as much as they are capable of learning due to the lack of interest and motivation.

    ReplyDelete