Friday, April 22, 2011

C4K 7-10 Summary

Kids and Technology
In my seventh comment for kids, I commented on Mr. McClung’s class blog. The post is called Talent Show. I was assigned to comment on the 8th grader that played a song by Weezer. I did not really recognize the song, but it was played well. The student seemed to put a lot of effort into that song that they were playing. Overall, I believe they did a great job, and I would recommend listening to it.


For my eighth comment for kids, I got to comment on Charlotte’s blog. Her post was called Rocking around the clock. In this post, she tells of the time where she got to learn a dance routine to the song Rock around the Clock. In her post, Charlotte seemed to have fun while learning the routine, and was also excited about her upcoming performance. It is good to see a kid get so excited about learning new things.


My ninth comment for kids was to tour Mrs. Yollis’s class blog and comment on it. In the case of Mrs. Yollis, she uses her class blog to inform people on what her students are learning, and as a way to communicate with people outside of her class as well. She allows for her students to be involved by letting them comment on the blog, and she has a section on her blog that is dedicated to her student’s blogs. By showing what her students are learning, she is also involving the parents in that way. Another thing that I noticed was that Mrs. Yollis allows students from around the world to post on the class blog. For instance, there is a post called “Where is Nonnon – Dove e’ Nonno – Courmayeur, Italy.” This was posted by a student by the name of Nonno who lives in Italy.


Mrs. Yollis has many different instructional posts and videos on her class blog. There is the video on how to comment, a post on how to learn HTML code, a slide show on California, and a video on how to shoot great digital images. All of these are separated into sections at the top of her class blog. When I was watching the videos and reading the information, I was surprised at how informative it was. In the slide show about California, I did not know most of the information that was presented in it. In Mrs. Yollis’ section on HTML code, I learned some code for symbols that I did not know before. The video on commenting was very informative and it shows exactly what it expected of someone when they are posting on her blog.


Another part of my assignment for my ninth comment was to comment on Mrs. Yollis’s post entitled Quality Commenting During Family Blogging Month. This post is full of examples of quality comments that have been found on Mrs. Yollis’s class blog. It uses examples to show what kinds of comments are acceptable on her class blog. This in turn shows what you should not write as a comment on her class blog. I was just fascinated with how many comments there were from different places, and how well the comments were written. In the future, I hope to allow my students do something similar to this, and allow them to write comments as good as the ones that I read.


My last comment for kids was written to Grace from Mrs. Yollis’s class. Grace’s blog is called Grace on the Go! The post that I commented on was titled Quality Comments. Her blog post was very informative on what is an acceptable comment on a blog. She tells how you should make a connection, leave a question, and use proper grammar when writing a comment. Also, it is mentioned that if you receive a comment on your blog, you should reply back to them. I found her post to be informative and interesting. I was certainly surprised to see how well Grace had written her post, compared to the other kid’s blogs that I have seen this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment