Sunday, April 24, 2011

Blog Assignment 13

Alabama Learning Exchange (ALEX)

ALEX, which stands for Alabama Learning Exchange, is an online database and resource service that is available for students and teachers.  There are various sections on the site that are available.  Under the section called Web resources, there are many online sources that are available to learn more for specific subjects.  The sources are split up into categories such as teacher resources, administrator resources, and student resources.  This is helpful because it allows for the students and faculty of different schools to use the site effectively.  A way for teachers to use this site is that it has a database for different lesson plans that have been created for different subjects.  It also has a feature where teachers can create their own lesson plans to share with other teachers. 

There are other sections on the site that are useful as well.  There is a category titled Podcast Treasury.  In this section, teachers and students can select a subject and find many podcasts for that subject and on many different topics within that subject.  When I become a teacher, I will mostly be using the English/Language Arts sections of this website.  This would be helpful because it would allow me to find ideas for activities and lessons for my students to participate in.  The resources section will be used to keep myself updated on all of the current materials that I will need in my classes.

ACCESS
Alabama Connecting Classrooms, Educators, & Students Statewide (ACCESS) is a program that allows for students to take classes online.  When I was in high school, I actually got a chance to use this specific program.  I used this system to take AP US History and German I.  This program gives students the chance to take various courses and work at a semi-decent pace.  When I was looking around the site, I noticed that they offer 14 different AP classes, 52 general classes, and graduation exam remediation modules.  This is a system where the students are doing mainly self-learning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment